Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Body of Memory-Touch (Colin)

The number of scars on my body are staggering. I think I have about 20 to 30 scatter everywhere. My hands have smallest scars but contain the most with at least one per finger. Even though the damage on the tips are not "scars" by the time they heal I chew them up again. I have scars on both my wrists as well. They were caused by a bike accident when I shielded my face as I flipped over the handlebars. I also have very large scars on my elbows and knees from the same bike accident. On my left hand I have a scar from a wart I never knew I had, as well as a wart on my right arm. Not far from the wart is a red dot where i stabbed myself on a screw getting on top of the freezers at work. I have one more external scar next to my left eye where the corner of a car door stabbed me, barely missing my eye. All of these scars are caused by my habit of being injury prone because of my inablity to pay attention to my surroundings. Even though you cannot see them i have six more physical scars. These scars are located in my mouth. I have six fake teeth. The grinded down nubs of my real teeth serve as physical and emotional scars for my neglect to take care of myself.

2 comments:

  1. Colin--perhaps the scars on your body form a constellation--or a connect-the-dots coloring book. So many of us are unaware of our bodies--as is evidenced by our diets, our habits, our general lack of listening to the higher intelligence of each cell.

    Mysti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow its amazing how you remember how you got all your scars. I bump into so many things at work that the next day I'm wondering where a certain bruise came from.

    Shelonda

    ReplyDelete